Saturday, October 28, 2006

Blogging Again!

Canoeing on the Pere Marquette River

Yes, I know it's been awhile. My sister told me she updated her blog...so it was my turn.
Ok, so what did you miss? We went canoeing in Baldwin at the beginning of Sept. - It was a lot of fun and I hope we do it again but on a much ~ much warmer day next year! It was in the 50's the day we went. The river was freezing and since I've never tipped a canoe before - I never thought of bringing a change of clothes (just in case). I had a short sleeve t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt and a sweatshirt on with capri's. It was pretty chilly! When we stopped for lunch we went up from the river banks to a picnic area and froze because it was really windy. It was a lot better being down on the water. There was less wind at the water level. Well, as it turns out We didn't need a change of clothes but Craig & Missy did! (Thankfully, they packed extra's) Seems Missy saw the tree branch but Craig didn't and when he looked up - instead of ducking...he grabbed it and the boat tipped. Missy went completely under and it was really cold! Thankfully she had a windbreaker on so that helped to keep some of her heat in. We were near a canoe pick-up area when that happened. So, we cut our trip a little short. We went a total of about 4 hours or so and it was about a 7 mile stretch of river. That was a real work out - let me tell ya! That river has a lot of twists and turns. Lots of tree limbs and large rocks to look our for. You have to be on guard the whole time. Not a lay back and relax kind of ride. My arms were pretty sore the next day!!
We also went with 2 other couples that did stay dry ;o) Ben & Martha and Troy & Kim.


Ben says "XL Life Jacket - Ya Right!"


Bad picture but here we have: Matt in the front, then Craig & Missy and then way in the back is Kim & Troy.


Ben & Martha shove off first and Matt supervises.

Yes, I really was there...Bringing up the rear & passing the Beer ;o)

Our Lady of the Lake Carnival

Then we went to the church carnival at the end of Sept. I use the term we loosely because it was just me. Matt went on a guys weekend up north to his friends cabin. So it was just me and the kids. We had tickets for the rides and then the kids talked me into buying 6 raffle tickets for $5. I wrote my name on them and then we walked around and put them in buckets of products that we hoped to win. Well believe it or not...I/We won 2 things!! The first item was a set of Pampered Chef mugs ~ I love these!!! Nothing like a big mug of Chai on a cold day. Then...the big prize - No not the $10,000 - I Wish! But it was a gift certificate to The Lost City worth $115 for Laser Tag, Mini Golf and Pop for 6 people. So this works out perfect for us to give Mackenzie a fun 10th birthday party. It couldn't have happened at a better time!


Caleb & Mackenzie bonding on a ride together


Mackenzie the dare-devil on this ride


Mack & Caleb in the petting zoo area ~ the poor little bunnies couldn't run fast enough ;o)


Caleb and one cute Chick!


Caleb and a Little Ass ;0) ~ Ok it's a Donkey


Mackenzie just couldn't leave those bunnies alone!

Ok, this is it for now. I'll share my sewing projects in the next segment. I've been doing some embroidery projects and Halloween costumes. So the pictures will be coming.

2 Comments:

At 10/30/2006 10:09 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Bonding?? Bonding? That's too funny. Is this the picture right before Mack throws him down and steps on him??

 
At 11/01/2006 12:32 PM, Blogger Christie said...

That's great there were some bonding moments. It's also wonderful that you and Matt got some time away with other adults!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home